Date:      Thu, 1 Apr 1999 12:29:22 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Subject:   CCD and Vinum compared with new performance measuring tool

In the past few weeks, I've been bitching about the fact that bonnie
doesn't do what I want in measuring storage device performance.  I've
now solved the problem: I've written another program.  You can pick it
up at ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/rawio.tar.gz.  From the man page:

DESCRIPTION
     rawio tests the speed of the low-level character I/O device special in a
     concurrent environment.  It is intended for comparisons of storage de-
     vices on a single system, and is not suited for cross-platform perfor-
     mance testing.

     By default, rawio spawns eight processes, each of which performs the same
     test.  Four tests are available:

     Random Read
             The random read test reads varying length records from the speci-
             fied device special, starting at random positions within the
             file.

     Sequential Read
             The sequential read test reads constant length records from the
             specified device special, starting at the beginning of the file.

     Random Write
             The random read test writes varying length records to the speci-
             fied device special, starting at random positions within the
             file.

     Sequential Write
             The sequential read test writes constant length records to the
             specified device special, starting at the beginning of the file.

Here is some sample output measuring vinum volumes and straight disks
(remember, these are ancient hand-me-down pre-SCSI-1 CDC drives; only
the comparison counts).  da2 is the raw disk, ccd0 is a striped ccd,
and s128k is a striped vinum volume with the same geometry (128 kB
stripes):

Test    ID           K/sec       %User    %Sys  %Total  I/Os
RR      da2         576759         0.0     0.7     0.7  800
RR     ccd0        1224133         0.1     2.0     2.1  800
RR    s128k        1220979         0.4     2.2     2.6  800

Test    ID           K/sec       %User    %Sys  %Total  I/Os
SR      da2         899264         0.0     0.4     0.4  800
SR     ccd0        1903052         0.0     1.5     1.5  800
SR    s128k        1925672         0.1     1.8     1.9  800

Test    ID           K/sec       %User    %Sys  %Total  I/Os
RW      da2         589874         0.0     0.8     0.8  800
RW     ccd0        1380529         0.1     2.2     2.3  800
RW    s128k        1370186         0.3     2.6     2.9  800

Test    ID           K/sec       %User    %Sys  %Total  I/Os
SW      da2         901745         0.0     0.5     0.5  800
SW     ccd0        2114599         0.1     1.6     1.7  800
SW    s128k        2116235         0.0     2.1     2.1  800

Not surprisingly, the performance figures for vinum are pretty much
the same as for ccd; the somewhat higher CPU time is probably due to
the debug aids I still have in vinum.  Compared to bonnie, the results
are pretty reproducible.

Comments welcome
Greg