Date:      Thu, 21 Dec 95 9:53:04 CST
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems with crash dumps not dumping

I've been trying to catch a useful crash dump under 2.1.0R on my news
server.  John Dyson had suggested that it would be helpful to see a crash
dump in order to debug some VM/mmap issues (? etc) or something or other, I
don't quite remember exactly what since it's been a few weeks.

Anyways.  I enabled the crash dump stuff, and when the machine panics with a
"panic: free vnode isn't" error, it appears to start the dump but then locks
with "dumping... XXXX" where XXXX is some fairly large number.  The root
drive light and controller activity light are both on (NCR-810).  I've seen
this happen several times now.  I believe it worked correctly before the
dumps were enabled.

Also, again, I am noticing a direct correlation to running out of inodes and
this particular panic.  When my alt.* drive (4096/512) died, I moved the
alt.* hierarchy onto my alt.binaries.* drive (8192/1024, less inodes) and
I've been hitting 100% inodes every once in a while.

... Joe