Date:      Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:43:35 -0400
From:      "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+aug2001@kew.com>
To:        "Greg Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>, "Darryl Okahata" <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-Stable" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Vinum vs. hardware RAID (was: RAID5)

> >      My issues with vinum are:
> >
> > [ Note: it's been a year or two since I've used vinum, and so the
> >   following may be out-of-date.  Corrections appreciated.  ]
> >
> > * Once set up, vinum works well, but it takes a lot of hard reading to
> >   set up.  The actual work itself is not hard, mind you, but it's
> >   difficult to figure out what you need to put into the config file.
>
> I've added sample configs to the man page.  People still have trouble,
> but none of them seem to have read that section of the man page.

Is this 4.3 man page or have there been additional changes since then?    It
appears the last update was in April, which is previous to my own
experience.

When I read the vinum man page while setting up two systems in June, the
examples were unclear because the parameters in the examples were not
explained well.

> >   I had /usr on a vinum-controlled partition, and upgrading FreeBSD
> >   via CDs was a royal pain.  I basically had to do the upgrade to
> >   the root drive (moving /usr out of the way, rebuild the kernel
> >   with vinum, reboot, and then copy/move the contents of /usr into
> >   the vinum-controlled /usr -- bleah).
> >
> >   [ Today, I should be able to kldload vinum, but I don't think I can do
> >     this at install time from the CDROM, and so I'd still have to play
> >     games with /usr.  ]
>
> Yes, currently installing on Vinum is a pain.  But vinum(8) loads the
> kld automatically, and I suspect that you should be able to load it
> during the installation process.  The problem is that sysinstall
> doesn't know about Vinum.

This is a critical issue for a binary upgrade when /usr lives on a vinum
volume.  Is there an open PR on it?  (And no, I don't expect it fixed in
4.4!)