Date:      Tue, 08 Sep 2020 14:35:56 +0300
From:      Rustam <rustam-m@ukr.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't get working USB modem Huawei E3372h-320

We use a FreeBSD gateway. Lately we have to change our ISP and chose wireless Internet via modem Huawei E3372h-320 (HiLink).
Modem works fine on different Windows PC's (Win7/Win10/USB2.0/USB3.0) - internet available.
But when connect to our FreeBSD - modem can't be detected correctly.
On console repeatedly appears messages like:

ugen7.4: <HUAWEIMOBILE HUAWEIMOBILE> at usbus7
cdce1 on uhub8
cdce1: <CDC Ethernet Control Model (ECM)> on usbus7
ue1: <USB Ethernet> on cdce1
ue1: Ethernet address: 00:1e:10:1f:00:00
ugen7.4: <HUAWEIMOBILE HUAWEIMOBILE> at usbus7 (disconnected)
cdce1: at uhub8, port 1, addr 4 (disconnected)
cdce1: detached
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=4, set address failed! (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 4 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
usbd_req_re_enumerate: addr=4, set address failed! (USB_ERR_IOERROR, ignored)
usbd_setup_device_desc: getting device descriptor at addr 4 failed, USB_ERR_IOERROR
usb_alloc_device: Failure selecting configuration index 0:USB_ERR_IOERROR, port 1, addr 4 (ignored)

See photo of the screen: https://picua.org/image/Me2Hvf

When executing 'usbconfig' command repeatedly, most of times results shows empty usb ports. But sometime I can see device 'HUAWEIMOBILE HUAWEIMOBILE' for short time (it disappears at next time). When repeatedly execute 'ifconfig -a' sometimes we got an automatically created interface ue0/ue1, which then vanishes.

This looks like modem repeatedly connects/disconnects from USB port.

First we assume this is because of not enough power from USB. We move HDD with FreeBSD into another PC - the same behavior. Then I solder hand-made USB cable - attach an extra 2 wires in parallel to V+/G wires of factory cable and turn on them into an external 5V USB charger while modem keep connected via factory cable. Got no effect. So, this is not a hardware problem (or am I wrong?).
I try increase values of hw.usb.timings.* in 'loader.conf' - no effect. May be someone can point me to another variables? May be I need load/unload/configure some kernel modules?

Previously we have another modem Huawei EC315 (VID=0x12d1/PID=0x1f01), which works fine connected to that system (with help of 'usb_modeswitch').

So, my question: does anyone make this modem works on FreeBSD or have similar troubles with other devices? Can you point me in right direction?

My system: FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p9 GENERIC  i386
Modem info: H/W version = CL4E3372HM, F/W version = 10.0.3.1(H192SP2C983)

'dmesg' of worked modem EC315 ('ue0' appears after 'usb_modeswitch' by startup script):

ugen7.2: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile> at usbus7
umass0 on uhub1
umass0: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 0/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus7
umass0:  SCSI over Bulk-Only; quirks = 0x0100
umass0:6:0: Attached to scbus6
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus6 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
cd0: quirks=0x10<10_BYTE_ONLY>
umass0: at uhub1, port 1, addr 2 (disconnected)
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus6 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HUAWEI Mass Storage 2.31>  detached
(cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Periph destroyed
umass0: detached
ugen7.2: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile> at usbus7 (disconnected)
lo0: link state changed to UP
em1: link state changed to UP
WARNING: attempt to domain_add(netgraph) after domainfinalize()
ipfw2 (+ipv6) initialized, divert loadable, nat loadable, default to deny, logging disabled
ugen7.2: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile> at usbus7
cdce0 on uhub1
cdce0: <Huawei Technologies HUAWEI Mobile, class 2/0, rev 2.00/0.00, addr 2> on usbus7
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on cdce0
ue0: Ethernet address: 00:a0:c6:xxxxxx