Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:31:05 -0500
From:      Ted Sikora <tsikora@home.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        tsikora@powerusersbbs.com, Marc Nicholas <marc@netstor.com>, "freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>, "freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Temperature

Mike Smith wrote:

> > Marc Nicholas wrote:
> > >
> > > You're referring to the temps reported via an LM78 or similar, yes?
> > The machines bios with Winbond W83782d IC
> >
> > > not reporting that the machine is actually getting HOTTER under FreeBSD?
> >
> > It is HOTTER under FreeBSD. Immediatelly upon boot-up it's 26F
> > hotter under FreeBSD than under Linux.
>
> That's fairly hard to believe, unless your system has zero thermal
> inertia.  I'd have an easier time suggesting that your reporting software
> has been broken.  I'm also curious as to how you're talking to the BIOS
> to obtain these temperature values.

I'm really starting to get irritaed with all these posts. I'm trying to
report a potential problem and your treating me like I'm some yokel. I
have been a computer engineer for 28 years so I think I have a little
experience in this. Well here's some data:

FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE #0: Thu Sep 16 23:40:35 GMT 1999
    jkh@highwing.cdrom.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC

(lmmon -i reports)

 Motherboard Temp		Voltages

 32C / 89F / 305K		Vcore1:   +2.016V
 				Vcore2:   +1.469V
    Fan Speeds			+ 3.3V:   +3.234V
    				+ 5.0V:   +4.932V
    1:    0 rpm			+12.0V:  +12.625V
    2:    0 rpm			-12.0V:   -2.438V
    3:    0 rpm			- 5.0V:   -1.383V

System Winbond chip in system bios reports:

87F  CPU#0
87F  CPU#1
89F  CASE TEMP

FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Tue Dec 28 19:28:10 EST 1999
    root@telecast.htfds1.ct.home.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/TELECAST

(lmmon -i reports)

 Motherboard Temp		Voltages

 41C / 105F / 314K		Vcore1:   +2.016V
				Vcore2:   +1.484V
    Fan Speeds			+ 3.3V:   +3.250V
				+ 5.0V:   +4.932V
    1:    0 rpm			+12.0V:  +12.625V
    2:    0 rpm			-12.0V:   -2.375V
    3:    0 rpm			- 5.0V:   -1.383V

System Winbond chip in system bios reports:

113F  CPU#0
113F  CPU#1
105F  CASE TEMP

These are both taken right after bootup with X started and WindowMaker
running. No other apps running.

Regards,
--
Ted Sikora