Date:      Mon, 31 Aug 1998 22:57:59 -0700
From:      bear@pacificnet.net
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What ethernet card should I use on my PC with a modem cable?

Hello,

I'd like the same exact information. :)  In about a week I'm going to have
a cable modem installed.  I went to Fry's Electronics in Fountain Valley,
Ca and looked for a compatible ethernet card for my Unix box.  I didn't
find anything that was on the ethernet hardware list. :(

I found a bunch of LynkSys and D-Link card for reasonable prices.  I also
found some NetGear cards and others as well.  Not a single one of them did
I find any jumpers or anything on them.  I'm afraid of using PnP hardware
with FreeBSD.  One of the Lynksys cards that I saw was Linux compatible,
and I'm wondering it might be FreeBSD compatible as well.  Too bad I don't
have the model number handy. :(

Finding NE2000 or NE2100 compatible boards have been a pain in the ass as
well.  I have been recomended the Intel ethernet cards but they are way out
of my price band.  I don't want to spend over 40 dollars, hopefully I'll
get a card for about 20 bucks.  Anyone know of which 20 dollar card will
work without much fuss?

Also, I'd like to hear more info about using FreeBSD as a gateway on a
cable modem connection.  I too would like to know if I'd need two ethernet
cards, and how would I even run two cards?  Would I need to get two PCI
cards?  I hear that I can set the IRQ's via the BIOS if it's PCI, but I've
never had to do any BIOS fiddling so I have no clue on how to do that.

Well, thanks in advance. :)

Joey Bear Garcia