Date:      Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:31:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      =?ISO-9550?B?o8C359TCv82jwA==?= <fengyue@bluerose.windmoon.nu>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   What is likely to be wrong?

Hi guys,

I've a AMD K2-400MHZ w/64MB RAM two IDE HD.  Last night I did a 3.2
FTP install, it all went fine.  Then, I configure and rebuild the kernel,
and reboot the box with the new kernel, it hanged after printing

	"Init network setup: hostname"

while the kernel.GENERIC just boots fine.  So, I cvsup'ed enitre source
to 3.2-stable, and did a make depend in single user mode, after a long
while, the mkdep process core dumped (signal 11). It sounds like a bad
memory chip to me, so I replaced the 64MB with a 32MB ram from another
box and did a make clean;make depend again, again, the mkdep core dumped
with signal 6.  I then put back the 64MB memory and wrote a little program
to test the memory;

	while (1){
		if (p = malloc (1000000))
		{
			memset (p,0,1000000);
			memcpy (p,buf,1000000);
			memcpy (buf,p,1000000);
		}
		usleep (500);
	}

Have that run for a long while until it uses up the entire swap space.
In this case, I assume the memory is actually OK.  So, my question is
what else could be wrong?  The entire motherboard or maybe even
the CPU?  Any hints where to look for the problem?  Thanks in adv!!