Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:20:22 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Cynical Nihilist <cynical.nihilist@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD /dev/fd0

As it has been mentioned before, it's questionable if there is
any support for parallel floppy disk drives in FreeBSD. But there
is support for USB driven external floppies, this is done via
the ufd driver.

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 02:32:36 -0500, Cynical Nihilist <cynical.nihilist@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I am having issues configuring and using my external floppy drive on
> FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE. It's a parallel port floppy drive. /dev/fd0 is not
> present and dmesg shows
> fdc0: <floppy drive controller (FDE)> port 0x3f2-0x3f5,0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2
> on acpi0
> fdc0: [FILTER]
>
> when using dmesg | grep fd

Correct, this is at least a floppy disk controller (fdc) which
seems to be present in the chipset of your mainboard, but this
doesn't neccessarily imply that there are any floppy drives.

> parallel port is working properly and I can read/write from it.

You could write a pdf driver on your own. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany
Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0