Date:      Fri, 10 May 2019 15:54:08 +0400
From:      Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "haskell@freebsd.org" <haskell@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Haskell in FreeBSD ports

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 2:50 PM Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org> wrote:

> 10 maj 2019 kl. 10:29 skrev Gleb Popov <arrowd@freebsd.org>:
>

> On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:49 AM Palle Girgensohn <girgen@freebsd.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> A while ago, I started porting a haskell based project called pgbackrest [
>> https://pgbackrest.org <https://pgbackrest.org/>]. I never really
>> finished at the the time, so I let it ly around on a repo of mine.
>> Yesterday I updated it and realized you're moving haskell stuff out of the
>> ports tree. Do you have any pointers to how to relate to this work, and
>> what I can do to get pgbackrest into the ports tree? I remember there where
>> more than 20 new haskell ports I had to add to get it working.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Palle
>>

> I skimmed through https://github.com/pgbackrest/pgbackrest repository and
> didn't find any Haskell sources.
>

> Haha, sorry, I was confused. postgrest [
> https://github.com/PostgREST/postgrest] is the name of the project. :-)
>
> We don't keep ports for Haskell libraries anymore. That means, that if
> pgbackrest is a Haskell library, you don't need to port it. Instead, port
> an application that uses it.
>

> So I port it sort of like a go application, by referencing all the
> libraries in the application port? Where will the libs go? Any tips of
> application ports using haskell that I can use as reference?

Yes, pretty much like Go. All library dependencies get linked statically. I
haven't yet documented the new way of creating ports, so see comments
file:///usr/ports/Mk/Uses/cabal.mk

In short, if a package is present on Hackage, you do following things:

0. Install devel/hs-cabal-install
1. Create a Makefile with bare minimum code required. Basically, PORTNAME,
PORTVERSION and USES= cabal.
2. Invoke `make cabal-extract` for it.
3. Invoke `make cabal-extract-deps`. As side effect this will build the
package.
4. Invoke `make use-cabal`. This will generate USE_CABAL= line with list of
all ports dependencies. Put it into the port.
5. Set `EXECUTABLES` variable if needed.
6. You're set up. Try building the port usual way: `make makesum && make &&
make stage-qa`.

If that last step didn't work due to missing dependencies, you probably
need to add revisions to some dependencies. Run `make check-revs`, lookup
packages on Hackage and add "_x" to appropriate USE_CABAL item.

Take a look at devel/hs-git-annex for example - it is a complex port using
various cabal.mk features.