Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:18:09 -0800
From:      Mike Harding <mvh@ix.netcom.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        Sergey Matveychuk <sem@ciam.ru>
Subject:   Re: perl 5.8 and malloc (and mod_perl)

Short answer - signals have changed for 5.8+, they added "Safe signals"
that let you do anything in a signal handler, but this handlers will
only be run between Perl byte codes.  The old 'unsafe' behavior is
available via a switch if you can't handle the latency or rely on the
old (unreliable) behavior.  See perlipc(1), search for "Deferred
Signals".

- Mike H.