Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2005 20:48:24 -0600
From:      McCy Ron <ron@bouncebk.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: samba printing

I have/had the same problem - couldn't print to the Samba shared printer
until I found in the
"Handbook" a couple of line of code that were missing in my smb.conf....

[printers]
   comment = Guttenburgs Pride
   printable = yes
   printing = BSD
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s
   path = /var/spool/samba
   min print space = 2000
   public = yes

I've got a printcap setting that uses a "pass-through" filter.....
Windows provides the drivers that talk to the printer correctly. BSD
need only pass the bytes through.

###################################
### printcap setup for Samba printer share......

broxima|hplj4|Samba Laser:\
    :sh:\
    :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/broxima:\
    :lf=/var/log/smbprt-errs:\
    :if=/usr/libexec/pass-prt:\

### pass-prt ......Pass through filter........
#!/bin/sh
/bin/cat && exit 0
exit