Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2013 13:42:38 +0200
From:      Terje Elde <terje@elde.net>
To:        Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Terrible disk performance with LSI / FreeBSD 9.2-RC1

On 8. aug. 2013, at 00:08, Frank Leonhardt <frank2@fjl.co.uk> wrote:
> As a suggestion, what happens if you read from the drives directly? Boot i=
n single user and try reading a Gb or two using /bin/dd. It might eliminate o=
r confirm a problem with ZFS.

If not too inconvenient, it'd be very interesting to see what'd happen if yo=
u were to physically disconnect (data and power) 5 of the 6 drives, then boo=
t and dd from the remaining disk to /dev/null. Then repeat with another driv=
e.=20

You could boot from USB to leave the system itself otherwise untouched.=20

The reason I'm suggesting is that I'm wondering if this can be down to a pow=
er or cable-issue, locking things up or causing retransmits, etc.=20

Not sure if this would always be logged, others might be able to enlighten t=
hat issue.=20

Terje