Date:      Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:38:32 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@lurza.secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, sigtrm@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: Sockstress

This is the wrong mailing list, you should send this
to the -security list.

By the way, this kind of attack isn't really new
(as far as I can tell from the few information that
have been made public so far).  One way to mitigate
it is to limit the number of open connections per
remote IP address; you can easily do that with PF
or IPFW ("limit" option).

Best regards
   Oliver

Lukasz Jaroszewski <sigtrm@gmail.com> wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I am wondering about sockstres informations recently published. I cant
 > really figure what new they could found. Do we have anything to worry about?
 > ;-)
 >
 > http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid14_gci1332898,00.html
 >
 > ``(...)Sockstress computes and stores so-called client-side SYN cookies and
 > enables Lee and Louis to specify a destination port and IP address. The
 > method allows them to complete the TCP handshake without having to store any
 > values, which takes time and resources. "We can then say that we want to
 > establish X number of TCP connections on that address and that we want to
 > use this attack type, and it does it," Lee said.(...)''
 >
 > ``(...)Lee said that when and _if_ specific vendors develop workarounds for
 > the issues, they will release details of those issues.(...)''
 >
 > Was FreeBSD team contacted? ;)

"Unix gives you just enough rope to hang yourself --
and then a couple of more feet, just to be sure."
        -- Eric Allman