Date:      Wed, 07 May 2008 01:21:08 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QEMU with network boot

On Wed, 07 May 2008 16:01:19 +1000 Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>  wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:43:12PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 01:22:31PM +1000, Edwin Groothuis wrote:
> > > When I start the qemu host with "-boot n", I see the DHCP requests
> > > and answers going over the wire (... tap device ...) but the NIC
> > > keeps saying that it can't get an IP address. This is the network
> > > output of it:
> >
> > http://pxe.dev.aboveaverageurl.com/index.php/PXE_Booting gave the
> > hint: I needed a next-server statement.
>
> I'll submit a PR for the manpage of pxeboot for this, because the
> behaviour of the ISC-DHCP has changed with version 3.0.3 about this
> (See http://www.mavetju.org/weblog/html/00110.html, I knew I had
> seen this before)
>
> > It's now through to its TFTP phase. Sorry about the noise!
>
> I have moved the file /boot/pxeboot to my tftpboot directory, it
> gets loaded but then QEMU complains about:
>
>     ......TFTP download complete, but Unable to load file.
>
> And restarts. Not sure what goes wrong...

See my message to Freebsd-emulation, dated 23 Apr 2007
12:23:09 PDT.  With the patched and recompiled etherboom ROM
now it gets to pxeboot loader's OK prompt. NFS MOUNT fails
but it gets further than I remember!

$ qemu-system-x86_64 \
	-net tap -net nic,macaddr=52:54:0:12:34:56,model=rtl8139 \
	-option-rom pxe-rtl8129.bin -boot n \
	-curses img

....................................................................PXE2done
PXE3PXE Loader 1.00

Building the boot loader arguments
Relocating the loader and the BTX
Starting the BTX loader

BTX loader 1.00  BTX version is 1.02
Consoles: internal video/keyboard
BIOS drive C: is disk0

PXE version 2.1, real mode entry point @9f00:0680
BIOS 639kB/128967kB available memory

FreeBSD/i386 bootstrap loader, Revision 1.1
(bakul@free.bitblocks.com, Tue Apr 24 10:30:38 PDT 2007)
pxe_open: server addr: 172.20.0.1
pxe_open: server path: /usr/tftproot
pxe_open: gateway ip:  172.20.0.1
NFS MOUNT RPC error: 13
\
can't load 'kernel'

Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help.
OK