Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2000 13:35:33 -0500
From:      "Jim King" <king@sstar.com>
To:        "Michael Lucas" <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, <alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Soft Error - Error #10 - FDC: Data overrun or underrun

On Tuesday, April 11, 2000 12:49 PM, Michael Lucas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Thanks to all who replied on the boot problem.  I now have a new problem.
>
> The system is a Multia.  I can get it to run the first install floppy,
> but the error
>
> *** Soft Error - Error #10 - FDC: Data overrun or underrun
> Diagnostic Name ID Device Pass Test Hard/Soft 11-APR-2020
> boot 000000089 err_iob 0 0 0 15 18:00:23
>
> (copied by hand, sorry)
>
> The first boot floppy finishes loading, and the system asks for the
> second boot floppy.  I put in the second boot floppy, and the
> "mount_mfsroot -t blah" message flashes.  An eyeblink later, I'm at
> the SMC console again.
>
> Any thoughts, anyone?

Multia floppy drives are notoriously flaky.  You might want to try a couple
more times just to see if you get lucky, or you could try some different
floppy disks.

If you have the 4.0 CD you should be able to boot from that.

You can try netbooting.  I've heard that this works. :-)

I had a SCSI Zip drive, so I dd'ed the 2.88 MB boot floppy image to that and
then booted the Multia from the Zip drive.

Jim