Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:51:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
To:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, Morten Seeberg <morten@seeberg.dk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: SGI Donated Journalised FS Source to Linux

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, David Schwartz wrote:

> > I don't see as how the kernel module would be "stealing" from the
> kernel > at all.  From a module's perspective, the kernel just has an
> API that it > has to conform to.  In fact, a kernel module is only
> really a highly > specialized form of executable, and I think it would
> be inane to suggest > that all Linux executables be GPL'd because they
> happen to use various > kernel hooks in order to operate.
>
> 	Actually, I won't put words in his mouth, but the usual argument is that a
> module is not a 'work', but a part of one.

I still don't see how the XFS filesystem and the implementation of the XFS
filesystem (both created by SGI for SGI with only SGI's resources) could
be considered a derivative of Linux.  If the only issue is the bundling of
the XFS source code with Linux, then maybe it'll be necessary for people
to download the XFS code separately.  I certainly can't see SGI losing all
its rights to its own filesystem just because they contributed it to
Linux.  Nobody wants that to happen.

---
tani hosokawa
river styx internet