Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 21:43:27 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikel <mikel@ocsny.com>
To:        FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended Hardware

I have a couple of AMD k6450's right now and all of them are pretty
stable...but it took some kernel tweaking to get them right...My first
attempt using a minimal conf...yeilded some pretty flaky results...finally
I beefed up my conf and thing are aok.

On a side note: I've two sister machines...both are dual pii400's (Asus
mlb's) one is 1/2 gb ram, the other is 390Mish...both have 10k rpm drives
and uw3 dual channel cntrlrs..alas for some readon we are only using one
channel right now..both also have 12/24 dds3 tapes..absolutely essential
in my book...When I started at this place they had two drive among
something like 20 srvrs...now we've scalled down and put a drive in almost
every srvr...believe me it took one crash for them to see that light...;)

both machines have 400-500 users...and are only pulling 3-7% of cpu cycles
max....added DNS (on both) and Apache on one...(still below 15% duty) The
Apache is a bit higher but only during pek hits..

hope that helps...

Cheers,
mikel

On Thu, 16 Dec 1999, Olaf Hoyer wrote:

> At 12:31 15.12.99 -0500, you wrote:
> >I need to build two new mail servers and am seeking feedback as to
> >recommended hardware, in particular, compatible motherboards.
> >
> >As I see it I have two choices, Pentium III 500 and the new AMD Athelon,=
> >have always used AMD in the past but have had repeated problems with the=
ir
> >450 MHz K6 processors which I clocked down in order to gain stability.
> >
> >Our (now) typical mail server uses AMD K6 300 - 400 CPUS, 256 MB RAM,
> >single SCSI LVD boot drive, Adaptec 2940U2W and is NFS mounted to our RA=
ID
> [...]
me
> it shall serve, and inhowfar the mail server app takes advantage of the
> memory as a cache, or do every mail has to be written (for security
> purposes) directly to HDD?
>=20
> If it has a low volume to handle, any good IDE drive (like IBM, or Quantu=
m)
> should do the job. Especially the answer times of IDE drives are a bit
> better than that of SCSI.
>=20
> (In -Chat there is curently a discussion raging which RAID/HDD subsystem =
is
> best)
>=20
> For medium stress, I'd take some good SCSI drives, like IBM DDRS/DRVS or
> Quantum Atlas, and hook them up to a single controller, configured in a w=
ay
> that swap goes to multiple drives. (If ya really crazy, take two SCSI
> controllers to have more bandwidth)
> Also the drives where mail data will be stored and the logging files will
> reside, should be different.
>=20
> For more stress, and data security, a RAID solution is recommended. Take =
> look at -Chat, there they offer some IDE RAIDs, which also look pretty go=
od.
>=20
> For "standard and old-fashoined" RAIDs, one would take a good
> SCSI-controller, hook up some 10000 rpm SCSI drives, and do a correspondi=
ng
> config.
>=20
> Ok, all other components are obvious: Good server casing, best with
> redundant Power supply, metal HDD frames with cooling,  el cheapo Vid car=
> from a quality manufacturer (image is not important, but it mustn't fail)
>=20
> You also should take a look at Tyan, they offer with the Thunder series
> some excellent boards designated for small/medium servers.
>=20
> They have the BX/GX chipsets, (up to 2 GB RAM), dual PIII capable, Adapte=
> RAID capable controller (the 3940, I think,with additional card) onboard,
> as well as lots of slots...
> Others have a U2W onboard...=20
> Have an old Tomcat myself, and I'm very content with the
> mechanical/electrical stability of it, and with some details of the desig=
n.
>=20
> Here in Germany the biggest costs about  US$ 800 (1500 DM)
>=20
> Regards
> Olaf Hoyer=20
> ------
> Olaf Hoyer   ICQ: 22838075       mailto: Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
> home: www.nightfire.de (The home of the burning CPU)
>=20
> Death be my master, my soul and saviour... (The book of inferno, chapter =
II)