Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:45:28 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Jeff Wyman <wysoft@wysoft.tzo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to makeyerkernels

Jeff Wyman wrote:

> I'm starting to wonder why people continue to drag this message on, it's
> just astounding.
>
> It's been well explained by many. It should be pretty clear now what you
> need to do in order to get a kernel working under the condition that
> either you:
>
>  - Are upgrading by source and need to work around older tools that have
>    not yet been replaced by newly built tools.
>
>  - Are on an established system and simply building a plain old kernel.
>
> And I agree with others when they say that if you're going to complain
> about the process, either you need to understand it better, or contribute
> by creating a new, better process.
>
> What is everybody else missing?

It is neither explained in /usr/src/UPDATING, nor in the above HEADS UP
message.

A clear explanation, including all steps, would be helpful. The step
missing from the original HEADS UP is you have to move kernel.GENERIC to
kernel BEFORE you reboot. This is not done automatically for you.

Just my .02 Euro
-Christoph Sold
--
i-clue GmbH, Endersbacher Str. 57, D-71334 Waiblingen
Fon: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-12,  Fax: (0 71 51) 9 59 01-55