Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:56:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      kulraj@microbiz.net
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/23487: Rel. 4.1.1 w/ an IPFW NAT implementation causes a problem with Samba 2.07

>Number:         23487
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Rel. 4.1.1 w/ an IPFW NAT implementation causes a problem with Samba 2.07
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have a fully functional FreeBSD 4.1.1 installation however two of the many functions of this box are :
1. IPFW implementaion of NAT
2. Windows file server via SAMBA 2.07
However, when I install Samba - it works great, the moment I configure the second NIC - Samba although still running denies any windows computer to connect! So I assumed that this may have something to do with browse list so I dumped the entire contents of /usr/local/samba/var/locks; I also deleted MACHINE.SID restart smbd and nmbd - same problem! - I can ifconfig ..... -alias the second NIC and everythings works again (but generally requires a re-boot - remind you of windows? :))
IPFW / NAT works flawlessly (ofcourse) - samba just becomes "problematic" when the these are running.

>How-To-Repeat:
This is the first computer on which I have these combinations running ie, SAMBA on a FreeBSD 4.1.1 installation. I have the same system still running on a 4.0 setup no problem.
So to mimic the problem install 4.1.1 run ipfw / natd and then Samba 2.07 - all samba connectivity will be denied. Disable one NIC, Samba works fine.

Our smb.conf as below :[global]
interfaces = 192.168.200.254/255.255.255.0

bind interfaces only = true

hosts allow = 127.0.0.1  192.168.200.0/24

remote announce = 192.168.200.0/24

server string = Powered by FreeBSD

workgroup = BOSAGROUP
netbios name = SAMBA

wins support = yes

browseable = yes
browse list = yes

domain master = yes
local master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255
socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY IPTOS_THROUGHPUT
getwd cache = yes
read raw = yes
max xmit = 32768
read size = 65536
oplocks = True
read prediction = True
locking = true

password level = 16
security = user
encrypt passwords = yes
smb passwd file  =  /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd

unix password sync = True
passwd chat debug = False
passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *password* %n\n *password* %n\n *

debug level = 1
log file = /var/log/samba.log

domain logons = yes
logon script = logon.bat