Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:06:20 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au (Bruce Evans)
Cc:        leo@lisa.rur.com, rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, jbryant@argus.iadfw.net, rashid@haven.ios.com
Subject:   Re: S.O.S -2.1Stable and ASUSP54TP4

Bruce Evans stands accused of saying:

> >And to state my reason for agreement that parity is a ``itsy-bitsy comfort'',
> >think about the fact that 80% of your memory access are going to a L2
> >cache that has never had parity on it, yet has a same FIT rate as the
> >main memory system.  Basically your more likely today to take a single
> >bit error in your cache as you are in main memory :-(.
>
> Is there anything to detect or correct errors in the registers or
> control logic?

They're not susceptible in the same way (and static memories are much less
susceptible than dynamic memories).

The #1 cause of single-bit errors are charged particles resulting from
radioactive decay in the chip packaging materials.  (One reason why
ceramic-package memories are almost extinct).

DRAMs, which depend on the charge on a tiny capacitor, are vulnerable
to having this charge corrupted by a small storm of such particles.

Static memories don't use this technique, and are thus resistant to
this form of corruption.

> Bruce

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[