Date:      Mon, 8 Nov 2010 06:22:55 -0500
From:      Jerry <freebsd.user@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: portmaster question

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 22:11:50 -0700 (MST)
Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> articulated:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 2010, Jerry wrote:
>=20
> > When using 'portupgrade', I commonly use the '-r' flag in
> > conjunction with the previously discussed '-a' flag. While not as
> > through as the "-u -p" flags with 'portmanger', it does accomplish
> > its goal.
>=20
> Isn't portupgrade -a equivalent to -arR?  I hope so, or I have a=20
> correction to make...

=46rom the man:

-a
--all                Do with all the installed packages.  Equivalent to
                     specify '*' as pkgname_glob.

-r
--recursive          Act on all those packages depending on the given
                     packages as well.

-R
--upward-recursive   Act on all those packages required by the given
                     packages as well. (When specified with -F,
                     fetch recursively, including the brand new,
                     uninstalled ports that an upgraded port requires)

I don't see anything that specifically states the the "-R  or -r" flags are
in included with the "-a" flag; although I might be misinterpreting it.
If it was implied i think it should have been better documented.

Perhaps the only way to positively ascertain the correct answer would
be to actually study the apps code, something I have neither the time
nor inclination to do.

--=20
Jerry =E2=9C=8C
FreeBSD.user@seibercom.net