Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:40:57 GMT
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Julien Pham" <jpham@mis.mc>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD versus Linux

> First, how do I subscribe the mailing lists ? Is it possible ?

send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
with "subscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message
> Second, my questions...

> First, what are the differences between the two OS ? Someone told me FreeBSD
> is real Unix, and Linux has nothing to do with Unix.
FreeBSD is part of the evolution of UNIX going back to near the
dawn of UNIX time. I suppose that makes it "real UNIX", but there
are lots of variants on that theme.

Linux is a UNIX lookalike operating system. It was written from scratch
(more or less) as a project at a University on or around 1990. It has
since grown way beyond that. Having said that from a user perspective
it is as much like "real" Unix as anything else with that claim.

FreeBSD is distributed as a complete system, with O/S and system programs
not seen as seperable things. There is only 1 FreeBSD (but there are
other BSD based O/S's, such as OpenBSD and NetBSD.. have a look at their
web sites for information).

Linux is strictly speaking just the O/S part and uses mostly GNU system
software .. GNU get pissed about people talking about Linux rather than
GNU/Linux (probably because Hurd, the O/S GNU is writing has been years
in arriving). What is irritating or wonderful (depending on your
point of view) is that Linux comes in a Heinz like variety of distributions...
dozens of them. So if you decide to try Linux first you will need to decide
which one (all I will say on this is do NOT try Redhat, the biggest selling
but worst Linux distribution on the planet).

Compatibility. Most Linux software runs fine under FreeBSD, some of it
runs reputedly better !

> Can I find all kind of apps I can find on linux, on FreeBSD ? Such as office
> tools (such as staroffice), network and internet tools, and games ?

I don;t know if Staroffice is available under FreeBSD yet. But I see no reason
why it shouldn't run.

Personally I would install it from CD first off, simplifies life for the
cost of small outlay for the CD's. Buy a set with the handbook if you can.

What else? I would try both if I were you.
Asking here is not necessarily going to get you an objective view .. lol.

I use FreeBSD 4.0/4.2 and Suse Linux 7.0.
I am happy with both of them.

Cliff