Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 17:18:44 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Scot.W.Hetel@spare.westbend.net
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Release (patch included)

* Scot.W.Hetel@spare.westbend.net <Scot.W.Hetel@spare.westbend.net> [010410 17:11] wrote:
> Since, noone supplied a patch that will help users to find the
> information when the tag changes from -STABLE/-CURRENT to -BETA
> or -RC.  I created a patch to newvers.sh that will display an
> informitive message.
>
> This patch changes the version string to include a message
> that can be used to inform the admin on where to get more
> information on the meaning of RC, BETA, & CURRENT.

Unfortunetly patches like this don't address the problem of a user
accidentally upgrading to a version he doesn't want.

For a patch to address that see:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=28213+0+archive/2001/freebsd-arch/20010325.freebsd-arch

Instead of asking why a piece of software is using "1970s technology,"
start asking why software is ignoring 30 years of accumulated wisdom.