Date:      Fri, 30 Jun 2000 16:26:47 +0530
From:      Pran Joseph <pran@procsys.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Applet and Window Managers

Hi,

 I have feebsd 3.4 machine with jdk1.1.8 installed.

 My problem is that I have a applet which runs fine in twm/After step
window manager .The same applet is not working in other managers like
KDE and GNOME .

   In KDE and GNOME the applet get stuck when I try to create the
frame.Frame is extended from JFrame and contains  JMenu,JTree,JPanel
etc.  I am using swing 1.1.1 which I downloded from sun web site. I have
included the soucre at the end of this mail.

-Pran

public class Applet1 extends JApplet
{
 boolean isStandalone = false;
 MyFrame frame = null;

public String getParameter(String key, String def)
 {
  return isStandalone ? System.getProperty(key, def) :
  (getParameter(key) != null ? getParameter(key) : def);
 }
 public static void main(String args[])
 {
   Applet1 myApplet = new Applet1();
   myApplet.init();
   myApplet.start();
   }

   //Construct the applet
   public Applet1() {
     }

 public void init() {
  try  {
   jbInit();

  frame = new MyFrame(); //the applet is excuting till this line

   frame.pack();
  }
  catch(Exception e)  {
   e.printStackTrace();
  }
 }

 //Component initialization
 private void jbInit() throws Exception {
    this.setSize(new Dimension(10,10));
 }

 public String getAppletInfo() {
  return "Test Applet";
 }
 public String[][] getParameterInfo() {
  return null;
 }
 static {
  try {
   UIManager.setLookAndFeel(UIManager.getSystemLookAndFeelClassName());
     }
  catch (Exception e) {}
 }

 public void start()