Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2006 13:18:22 +0900 (JST)
From:      Curtis Jewell <swordsman@csjewell.fastmail.us>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Versions distributed only as diffs?

On Sat, 28 Oct 2006, Paul Chvostek wrote:

> So...
>
> I'm looking at porting a debian package whose source appears to be
> distributed as an older version plus a couple of diffs to bring the
> old source to the current stable version.
>
> The two diffs, uncompressed, are about 101KB.
>
> Should I add slightly-modified versions of these diffs as patches in the
> port's files directory, making a 104KB port?  That seems awfully heavy.
> Or should I make distfiles of the original diffs, and write some
> Makefile magic in post-patch to apply them to the older source distfile?
> Is there a precedent for this?

editors/vim does the second with about 90 small patches. So yes, there's
precedent.

--Curtis

--
Curtis Jewell
swordsman@csjewell.fastmail.us

"Killed enough? ... Yes, Your Highness, I think we all have."
   --John Patrick Ryan (from 'The Sum Of All Fears', Tom Clancy)

[I use Pine, which deliberately does not display colors and pictures
in HTML mail]