Date:      Thu, 08 Jun 2000 22:13:32 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Coleman Kane <cokane@one.net>, "Brech, Cary" <CBrech@kenan.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mblott@lucent.com, "Savio, Florie N" <fsavio@lucent.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Support of Hot Swappable NICs

Wes Peters wrote:

> Mike Smith wrote:
> >
> > Actually, there's still a *lot* of work that has to be done to make this
> > work "right" - let me say two things only:
> >
> > "resource allocation"
> >
> > "interrupt routing"
>
> And that's just the start.  When it comes to network interfaces, trying
> to unthread them from the system in a small, fixed amount of time like
> will be required for hot-eject on CPCI, CardBus, etc., is really fugly.

Maybe it can be solved in two steps:

1. When the card is physically removed inform the driver that it
should shut down and don't try to get to the card afterwards. That means
it would handle some subset of configuration requests and delay or
throw away any data transfer requests.

2. Later take any neccessary amount of time to clean up the things.

-SB