Date:      Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:21:07 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        g8kbvdave@googlemail.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No System sources?

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 18:57:46 -0000, g8kbvdave@googlemail.com wrote:
> I'm currently stuck, trying to get them, so I can enable PPS support in
> the kernel.   The old "sysinstall" seems broken, in as much as it cant
> seem to download anything from anywhere.

The sysinstall program isn't significant anymore. :-)

> Where as, the newer "bsdinstall" program, want's to reformat the hard
> drive and start over each time!

Great. :-)

> So...
> How do I get the system sources downloaded in a usable form, so I can
> enable pps support in the kernel and use that.  Or, do I have to trash the
> system and start over(again?)

You can easily use ftp to download the sources for -RELEASE
from ftp.freebsd.org (select architecture and version according
to what you have installed). It's a .txz compressed archive
which you can extract into /usr/src.

You could also install svn (Subversion) and use that to
obtain the sources. This is what csup (CVS) has been used
in the past.

> I can understand that with third party
> sites, but not the main FreeBSD handbook or other pages.

The documentation is now maintained as a port.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany