Date:      Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:54:17 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help: panic: vm_page_free on a dual pentium system

Hello hackers,

Sorry to be a pest. I recently replaced my home system with a dual-
P133 motherboard (ASUS PCI/I-P54NP4D), based on the Neptune chipset
with a 7/2/96 Award BIOS. There are two P133s on it (I know fbsd
isn't smp yet), with 64mb ram.

With the 2.1.5-R GENERIC kernel, I can't recompile the kernel
without problems. I'll either get a SIGSEGV on one of the files
during compilation, or (about as often):

   vm_page_free: wire count>1 (4)panic: vm_page_free: invalid
   wire count

I'd appreciate any help on what may be happening. I don't know
enough to eliminate my hardware (most likely) or if it is a
software error. I ran WinProbe 4.0's memory test on Win95 for
a couple of hours continuously with no problems. I can also
run Windows NT Workstation v.4 (eew, I know) in single processor
mode without errors (that I've noticed.)

Any ideas ? I had hoped that one day I can use the machine to
play with an smp version of freebsd. =-)

Thanks in advance,

-Ade Barkah
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;