Date:      Tue, 24 Apr 2001 17:55:23 GMT
From:      fracture@allusion.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        fracture@allusion.net
Subject:   ports/26828: Feature request for x11-related ports variable

>Number:         26828
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Feature request for x11-related ports variable
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD cx420564-b 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Apr 24 08:33:58 GMT 2001 fracture@cx420564-b:/usr/src/sys/compile/HOBOIV i386

	Fresh install of 4.3-RELEASE, running on i386; recieved ISO from ftp.lt.freebsd.org.
	I desire all of my programs that are installed by ports to drop into /usr/local instead of the
	more-often-used, but in my opinion somewhat unfortunate (can be a pain when upgrading) /usr/X11R6
	with the X distribution.  I set the X11BASE variable to /usr/local, which is obviously incorrect,
	but works on the vast majority of ports; since most of them use autoconf.  However some of them
	have tried to use X11BASE to find X11 headers/libs (only one I've seen so far is www/netscape-remote).
>How-To-Repeat:
	check out /usr/ports/www/netscape-remote, you'll have to edit the makefile manually to get it to
	compile if you have X11BASE set to somewhere other than your X install.  (I know this is what _should_
	happen; hence this is not a bug, just a change-request).
>Fix:
	I'd suggest that there be an additional variable, perhaps X11PREFIX, that I could set to force X11
	apps to go to wherever I want them, regardless of the setting of X11BASE which seems to be intended
	to point to the x installation.