Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 1996 22:31:40 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        bmc@netaxs.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux `ls' port

Hi, as the author of the FreeBSD colorls, I just felt I should come
out to defend it a little. ;)

 * That's a direct quote from the man page.  The Linux version (which is,
 * again, just a patched GNU `ls') is more versatile.  Among other things it:
 *
 * - permits colorization based on file extension;

The few times I logged into linux machines, I've always been wondering
what good that does (the red compressed files and stuff...isn't it
already in there in the filename?)....

 * - permits you to limit colorization to tty devices only;

This is great.  What's the part that's doing this?  Maybe we can add
that to our colorls too.

 * - and permits separate colorization of "orphan" symbolic links.

Well, "colorls -lLG" works for me....

Basically, all the colorization of colorls is done by what *I* wanted
it to do (that's why it has so much support for setuid or
world-writable directories and such -- I'm a sysadmin type).  If
people have other ideas, I have no problem adding some more stuff.

 * Mainly, I prefer its versatility, which is why I ported it to FreeBSD.

I have no problem with that too, of course.  I am going to be out of
town the next few days, if someone hasn't gotten to it by then, I'll
test it and put it in the ports tree.

Satoshi