Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 2000 18:08:58 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Lauri Laupmaa <mauri@aripaev.ee>
Cc:        "'stable@freebsd.org'" <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.init+0x0): multiple definition of `_init'

Lauri Laupmaa wrote:

> Hi
>
> After compiling Tue Oct 31 -STABLE many ports do not compile anymore:
>
> ===>  Script "configure" failed: here are the contents of "config.log"
> This file contains any messages produced by compilers while
> running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.
>
> configure:536: checking for gcc
> configure:613: checking whether the C compiler (cc -O -pipe ) works
> configure:627: cc -o conftest -O -pipe   conftest.c  1>&5
> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o: In function `_init':
> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.init+0x0): multiple definition of `_init'
> /usr/lib/crti.o(.init+0x0): first defined here
> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o: In function `_fini':
> /usr/lib/crtbegin.o(.fini+0x0): multiple definition of `_fini'
> /usr/lib/crti.o(.fini+0x0): first defined here
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 623 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> main(){return(0);}
> (end of "config.log")
> *** Error code 1
>
> Do I have to buildworld again ? Or only build some fresh libraries ?

The only way you can be getting this is if you didn't do an installworld after
your cvsup and buildworld. Most of us had problems making strfile, which is one
of the first builds in the buildworld Stage 1. They are trying to change the
setup and the real build is down in something like Stage 4. If you made it past
the strfile build and then did an installworld, everything was cool. At this
point, I can't tell what you didn't do; however, you shouldn't be building ports
at this point without finishing the buidworld, build[install]kernel,
installworld sequence. There were changes on the 31 Oct that may change how you
do things for the first system update.

For the lucky few, there were sections of groff and the crti... functions that
weren't building.  The over-kill sequence for the crti... functions is to cd
/usr/src/gnu/lib/csu, there should only be a Makefile, remove everything (*.c's)
but the Makefile, make cleandir, make depend, make all, and make install. I
think I only had to make and make install. I would figure out what you haven't
done first and change your procedure.

Kent

> TIA
>
> L.