Date:      Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:26:03 -0500
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Josh Paetzel <josh@tcbug.org>
Cc:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Venting my frustration with FreeBSD

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 10:07:50PM -0600, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> On Monday 04 December 2006 21:10, David Kelly wrote:
> > On Dec 4, 2006, at 2:43 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:
> > > If you *do* decide to flame me please take a moment to grep for
> > > josh@tcbug.org through the ports tree, or look for PR's with my
> > > archives looking for responses from me.  I have, and do,
> > > contribute to FreeBSD, which I feel gives me the right to
> > > complain a bit.  I fully intend to ride the FBSD boat as long as
> > > possible, I just can't help but wonder if the slow leaks I see
> > > now are serious.
> >
> > Know what I like best about FreeBSD? That this thread has NOT
> > become a flamefest. That FreeBSD users and developers know the
> > difference between constructive criticism and a troll. Know how to
> > take constructive criticism, and how to ignore a troll. And just so
> > there isn't any doubt, Josh's posting is "constructive criticism."
> >
> > --
> > David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@HiWAAY.net
> > =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
> >=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.
>=20
> I started and run the local BSD user group, and I've always been=20
> interested in seeing what the local LUG does, so I read their mailing=20
> list.  One of the things I've always noticed is that the LUG mailing=20
> list is one big flame-fest.  In the years our BUG has been in=20
> existance we've had one thread that was at all hostile, and it was=20
> the result of someone posting a bunch of political propaganda during=20
> the 04 presidential elections.  We also have an IRC channel on=20
> freenode, and just the other day I went to kick someone out for the=20
> first time, only to find I wasn't on the access list.  (For the=20
> record, the only reason I wanted to kick them is their client was=20
> dorked up and caught in a join/part cycle)  What I'm getting at is=20
> that the FreeBSD community is for the most part terrific.  For the=20
> record I haven't gotten anything close to a flame from anyone, either=20
> onlist or off.
>=20
> To be fair, I should mention the things that I think are awesome about=20
> FreeBSD.
>=20
> 1) The ports tree.  Not without it's faults, but if you know how to=20
> massage it properly I think it's the best package management system=20
> in existance in the open source world....and it's better than any of=20
> the proprietary ones I've used from commercial vendors too.
>=20
> 2) The documentation.  Chances are, if you want to do it it has=20
> excellent OFFICIAL documentation.  My hats off to everyone that=20
> slaves away on the doc team.
>=20
> 3) The filesystem layout.  Simply fantastic.  The seperation between=20
> the base system and 3rd party apps is a godsend.
> [...]

Actually there's something evil you can do involving using your swap
partition as a temporary root mount so you can pivot over onto a new /
and then reinitialize your slice a.  You still need to dump and
restore your other partitions though.

OTOH, UFS2 isn't really necessary unless you need it.

Kris

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--