Date:      19 Feb 96 10:46:24 GMT
From:      peter@jhome.DIALix.COM (Peter Wemm)
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hysterical Raisons

rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes) writes:

>> : Actually, both versions of Ghostscript are free, it's just that
>> : version 2 uses the GNU copyright, and version 3 uses Aladdin's
>> : copyright.
>>
>> For a suitible definition of the word free :-).  Aladdin's copyright
>> is basically GPL + "You can't sell this for money."  I think that's
>> why Aladdin's relatively good version isn't on the cds.

>Hummmm... that seems to be in conflict with the GPL itself.

>From the preamble, paragraph 2:

>GPL2>   When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not
>GPL2> price.  Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you
>GPL2> have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for
>                                                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>GPL2> this service if you wish), that you receive source code or can get it
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>GPL2> if you want it, that you can change the software or use pieces of it
>GPL2> in new free programs; and that you know you can do these things.

>Then in the ``precise termas and conditins'', clause 1, paragraph 2:

>GPL2> You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
>GPL2> you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

>Now the real question is does Ghostscript version 3 fall under the GPL...

No. The author owns the copyright.. He can specify any terms and conditions
of copying he likes.  In the ghostscript 3 case, he accepted commercial
support to financially support it's development in return for exclusive
commercial rights.

The License it's distributed under has some similarity to GPL when used in a
non-commercial context, but is most definately not GPL.

Although Ghostscript3 is no longer under GPL copying conditions, gs-2.6
is still GPL'ed.  Nobody can stop that from being distributed.

IMHO, As much as I dislike some of the strings attached in the GPL, this
is a saving grace.

Cheers,
-Peter