Date:      Tue, 12 Sep 2000 22:31:55 +0100
From:      David Goddard <goddard@acm.org>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG

At 07:38 12/09/00 -0700, Joseph Scott wrote:

>	I've pretty much given up on the search at freebsd.org.  For better
>or for worse I usually just go to www.deja.com/usenet and do a search
>there.

I know what you mean - apart from not supporting proper boolean searching
(someone correct me if I'm wrong!), I just don't have confidence that the
FreeBSD search is returning what I want.  For example, from looking at the
web pages, I have no idea how it handles the non-word characters (such as /
- % ! etc.) that you might want to include in your search terms.  Does it
match them.  I'm also pretty sure that proper regexps don't work, with only
a wildcard at the end permitted.  Likewise, there's no indication as to
whether you can escape characters like * .  It makes the search facility
offered by the company I work for seem not so bad, which is saying
something :-)

Sadly, the GeoCrawler search facility appears to suffer from the same lack
of transparency.  I tend to use my web search engine of choice (Google
ahead of the (amazingly still available) plaintext AltaVista) and hope that
they have indexed enough.

A glance at http://searchenginewatch.com/resources/software.html suggests
that decent, free, stuff is available - is the search facility actively
maintained?

Dave