Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:32:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: my bootable CDs...

On Mon, 20 Aug 2001, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 08:12:33AM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>
> > No, no, disk1.iso didn't have cdboot run on it.
> >
> > Try disk2.iso- that's what I booted. When it came time to install from cdrom
> > media, I swapped media. Isn't this how it's supposed to work? There's no
> > kernel on disk1!
>
> ?? for 4.3R I used the first iso (the only one available for download) and
> I (as a result) never had to swap CDs for a kernel.
>
> Did I miss something here?

Probably not. I've never installed an alpha from CD before (I never received a
CD as a developer, and I purchased i386 ones, but there were no alpha ones
mostly). I looked at the contents of both CDs, and it seemed pretty clear to
me that the disk2 was a bootable CD (the 'fixit' disk), so I booted that one.

For all I know, disk1 is supposed to work. I just didn't even try it.

Try a vnconfig and look at the contents and tell me what *I* have missed?

-matt