Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:19:43 -0400
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for embedded systems... ?

All,
	I've been browsing the FreeBSD site looking for a system I can
embed in the car. Optimally, it will do video output via a RCA cable (ala your
VCR) so I can plug it in to one of the new Alpine radios with an AUX in. Input
will probably come via a USB gaming pad (arrow keys, a few buttons, and 16-20
keys). I'd like to have bluetooth and 802.11b/g for communicating with a base
station and the in car GPS and phone audio systems. USB (4-6 ports) would
be perfect - I can get the keyboard, bluetooth, 802.11g, and ODB II
connectors in without a hub. Most I've seen boot from compact flash, but
booting from a USB thumb drive or SD ram would also be useful. Audio would
also be nice, but I can get away with the bluetooth link.

	The form factor should be as small as possible for under-seat,
behind-dash, or trunk installation.

	I've seen the Soekris systems, and they're at a good price point, but
while they'd support most of what I'd need, they don't seem to have RCA video
output, which would be a major plus for real time color displays of status and
information (has anyone played with the USB video options available? Does
FreeBSD support them?)

	Suggestions? Comments? Projects already done?

	-Brian