Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:36:41 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Stephane.Legrand@bigfoot.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About the new HTML files in www/en/releases/4.4R/

--==_Exmh_-972057479P

If memory serves me right, Stephane Legrand wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2001 at 03:33:12PM -0700, Bruce A. Mah wrote:

> Let me clarify why i asked this question. I'm participating to the
> french translation of the www pages and it's extremely useful to
> have a version number for each files because you can then easily
> track the translations out of sync. If you can assure me that this
> current version number will be modified each time the HTML file is
> modified (no matter if article.sgml was modified or not), then
> that's perfectly fine because i can use this version number as i
> already use the ones in the SGML files.

OK.  I can say with some confidence that the only time that I will go
to modify (for example) errata.html is if the article.sgml file that
generated it was modified.  Since the version number in the page gets
changed every time this happens, then you should be able to use this.

> I hope you can understand my point of view despite my english :-)

Your English is most excellent and much better than my French (despite
having taken four years of French in high school).

> > > - the fact that the HTML files are no more generated makes difficult
> > > any design changes. For instance, i can't add a navigation bar in
> > > these pages without directly modifying the files. With SGML, the
> > > &header; entity allows this without any change in the original
> > > file. Any chance to revert to SGML format ?
> >
> > I found the old method (drop ASCII text in the middle of SGML) to be
> > extremely inconvenient for updating the errata.  I'm open to
> > alternatives that don't make me do this.
>
> Could it be possible to have something like (an example with errata) :
>
> <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" [
> <!ENTITY base CDATA "../..">
> <!ENTITY date "$FreeBSD: www/en/releases/4.4R/errata.sgml,v 1.17
>   2001/09/04 20:51:42 bmah Exp $">
> <!ENTITY title "FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE Errata">
> <!ENTITY % includes SYSTEM "../../includes.sgml"> %includes;
> ]>
> <!-- $FreeBSD: www/en/releases/4.4R/errata.sgml,v 1.17
>   2001/09/04 20:51:42 bmah Exp $ -->

> &header;
> current HTML content without any change
> &footer;
>
> ie basically embed the HTML body in a standard SGML "skeleton".
> So, the current HTML content is preserved but the SGML entities
> are preserved too.
>
> Is it easily feasible ?

Hmmm...I don't know.  I'd still like to avoid any modifications to the
HTML at all (i.e. headers, footers, etc.) with respect to what a user
might find in a RELEASE or a snapshot.  But perhaps I'm being lazy, and
I freely admit that I am not the best qualified person when it comes to
Web site design, so other opinions are welcome (especially, BTW, from
those participating in the XML thread on -doc@).

Here's another thought.  It makes you do a little more work but you do
gain something in the end.  Instead of translating the HTML renderings
of the errata, release notes, etc., what about translating the SGML that
produced them?  We can put these in src/release/doc/fr_FR.ISO8859-1 in a
parallel structure with the rest of the release documentation.  This
gets you a set of release documentation that can be printed, converted
to HTML, or whatever else.  The HTML can be used (either directly or
indirectly) in the Web site.  I can help with setting up the
infrastructure for this.  It's related, but not identical, to the point
we're discussing about the formatting.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-972057479P

--==_Exmh_-972057479P--