Date:      Sun, 3 Jul 2005 14:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Juszczak <matt@atopia.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Syn TCP Retries equivelent?

----snip-----
We figured out that if the primary LDAP server is online but the slapd
process is down, the client (in this case NSS/PAM) immediately gets a
"connection refused" and fails over to the secondary. On the other hand,
if the machine is really down (i.e. powered off) and is in the same network,
the underlying TCP will exponentially try five times (on Linux) to access
that server before abandoning it. Solution on Linux is to set the kernel
parameter (tcp_syn_retries) to some lower value, although this might
break something else. We've been running for a few weeks with
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syn_retries set to 1 and have had no headaches (YMMV).

Is there an equivelent to this in FreeBSD?  If so, is it possible to set
it for certain services?  If I set it globally will it break something
else?