Date:      Thu, 13 Oct 2011 23:08:16 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Dennis Glatting <freebsd@penx.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very large swap

This is kind of stupid question but at a minimum I thought it would be
interesting to know.

What is the limitations in terms of swap devices under RELENG_8 (or 9)?

A single swap dev appears to be limited to 32GB (there are truncation
messages on boot). I am looking at a possible need of 2-20TB (probably
more) with as much main memory that is affordable.

I am working with large data sets and there are various ways of solving
the problem sets but simply letting the processors swap as they work
through a given problem is a possible technique.

Processors, memory, storage, and other hardware are open issues but for
the minute I'm doing things on the cheap, which, admittedly, has a certain
intellectual amusement factor.

TIA