Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 13:41:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>, Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>, stable@freebsd.org

> 	b) Assuming that the answer to (a) is no and now you've got
> 	   carte blanche to change things, what names would you choose
> 	   to describe the 3 tracks of development (mostly quiescent,
> 	   current release track, bleeding edge development) which you
> 	   feel would most adequately convey their purpose to the
> 	   layperson?  Explain your rationale for each choice.

-stable (Released versions of FreeBSD, since any release has some
         measure of stability)
-release (The 'next' release of FreeBSD)
-devel (What was once -current, now renamed to devel which reflect the
        code on the 'HEAD' branch).

There might be some confusion on when to use -stable vs. -release, but
most questions would be appropriate for either, since most people run
the most recent release, so the question would be answered 'fixed in
-release'.

The big issue in my mind is how to differentiate 'released' vs. 'release
in progress'.

Nate