Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 2013 21:02:01 -0500
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@his.com>
To:        Rob Paisley <paisley@rpaisley.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TERM / termcap / terminfo & st from suckless tools

--ZJcv+A0YCCLh2VIg

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 09:27:14AM -0500, Rob Paisley wrote:
> I use st 0.4.1 from st.suckless.org as my terminal. It assigns
> TERM=3Dst-256color. Accordingly I get errors running top / tmux as follow=
s:
>=20
> $ top
> top: can't open termcap file
>=20
> $ tmux
> open terminal failed: can't find terminfo database
>=20
> On Linux like systems, the solution is:
>=20
> $ tic -s st.info

actually, the file with st has a few errors in it (I saw some recent discus=
sion
which hinted that its developers may get around to incorporating the fixes =
that
I made over the past few years.

> 2 entries written to /home/rpaisley/.terminfo
>=20
> which is run normally via make install. On FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE with `pkg
> install ncurses` yielding version 5.9_3, the output is as follows:
>=20
> $ tic -s st.info
> 2 entries written to /usr/local/share/misc/terminfo.db
>=20
> It didn't appear to have changed in size, so I ran the same command as ro=
ot
> and verified the file /usr/local/share/misc/terminfo.db did in fact chang=
e,
> yet I still get the errors from above for both top / tmux.

top's looking in termcap.db :-)
=20
> My current work around is to manually set TERM=3Dxterm-color.
>=20
> I've tried various settings for TERMINFO / TERMCAP environment variables =
to no
> avail. How do I get st-256color recognized as a valid terminal?

"man 5 termcap" mentions cap_mkdb, which is a good place to start reading

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey <dickey@invisible-island.net>
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net