Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:10:33 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        stb@hanse.de (Stefan Bethke)
Cc:        archie@whistle.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Warning: Change to netatalk's file name handling

> > Netatalk seems like the wrong place to modify behavior to solve this
> > problem, which is a display problem, not an encoding problem.
>
> Where is the encoding defined for character values in the ranges between
> \0x01 to \0x1f, and \0x7f to \0xff in terms of UFS, POSIX, whatever?

ISO 8859?

> If you were right, it would be OK for afpd to store all chars literally.
> While this does work, it is definitly awkward to work with in the shell,
> and possibly so together with other applications as Samba as well. Its not
> merely an display issue; its an interoperability issue. I feel that too
> many things expect file names to confine to printable ascii, and unless
> this changes, I opt to fix what in my eyes is an obvious bug in afpd (that
> is, escaping \0x80 to \0xff, but leaving \0x01 to \0x1f and \0x7f
> untouched).

Per interoperability: This presumes, incorrectly, that Mac's support
the same idiotic idea of code pages as SAMBA must.

> It won't change anything to the worse; the only problem is that existing
> files with file names containing control characters (custom icons on folders
> being the single source of such name probably) will stop working and will
> need manual assistance from an operator.

It will break a number of things.  It already breaks the file name
length limitation in SAMBA.  Duplicating this break into Appletalk is,
IMO, a bad idea.

If you are going to push this hard, you should consider Internataional
representation ofile names by client locale, and how it is already
handled.

Novell servers are another case where the server assumes all clients
exist in a given locale; this would be a mistake to buy into...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.