Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 11:20:59 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Stu Brown' <stuartb@abs.karoo.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Porting JDK1.2.2 to OpenBSD

Dear Stu,

> Thanks for the mail. I'm not sure whether to continue trying
> to get jdk1.2.2
> built natively on OpenBSD to be honest, at the moment I've
> got the blackdown jdk running and that seems to be working ok.

On OpenBSD? Ok. I thought that there was not JDK at all on OpenBSD.

> I must admit I haven't
> benchmarked it against anything else, so I'm not sure how much of a
> performance/stability hit it's taking by running a non-native
> version...if it is a lot it may be worth continuing my efforts.

To be honest, I doubt that the performance hit is terrible. A native JDK has
the large advantage that you can actually fix bugs when you run into a
showstopper, which is a lot harder with the Blackdown JDK.

> However I don't have much
> time to spend on this (not at work anyway), as I need the jdk
> for a web
> server serving servlets via tomcat/apache. Do you have any
> thoughts on this?

I used the native FreeBSD JDK for the longest time, although I switched to
the linux-1.3.1 JDK when I switched from Tomcat to Orion. At the end of the
day, performance is decided by my ADSL uplink and not by the speed of the
JDK. YMMV.

    Kees Jan