Date:      Sun, 23 Sep 2012 07:39:19 -0400
From:      Jerry <jerry@seibercom.net>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: wifi drivers support for "n" standard

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 18:43:34 -0700
Waitman Gobble articulated:

> On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Fbsd8 <fbsd8@a1poweruser.com> wrote:
>
> > I have 3 usb wifi sticks.
> > One supports b/g standard only and it configures with no problems.
> > The other 2 support the "n" standard for faster connection speed
> > between the usb stick and the network AP.
> > These 2 usb wifi sticks do not configure no mater what I do.
> > Thinking the Freebsd wifi drivers have not been updated for "n"
> > standard yet. My Cisco Linksys AE2500 USB wifi stick does not work
> > with the bwi driver. Has any body gotten this device to work?
>
> According to this page: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Linksys_AE2500 the
> AE2500, which was first released about one year ago, uses the BCM4323
> chipset. I do not see support for this chipset listed in
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/bwn/ or
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/usb/wlan/
>
> If you want a USB dongle that works with FreeBSD I recommend finding
> one with an RALINK chipset, these seem to be well supported (however
> I have not tried it with version 8). AFAIK 'wireless n' is not
> supported w/ the RALINK driver (usb is rum driver at
> http://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/release/8.3.0/sys/dev/usb/wlan/if_rum.c?revision=234063&view=markup).
> Older D-Link dongles use RALINK chipsets, but it seems that newer
> ones use the BC chipsets and are not supported. You should be able to
> chose from a selection of RALINK based devices on ebay for around $10
> US.
>
> If you want to connect to 'wireless n' I recommend finding a device
> with an Atheros chipset (however I do not believe there is presently
> a driver for Atheros based USB dongles, there is one in the OpenBSD
> source which could be ported.) One thing to note, you may need to run
> FreeBSD 9 or 10.0-CURRENT to use the newer Atheros drivers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of wireless support in FreeBSD. Rather
that wasting your time hoping in vain that FreeBSD will actually
provide suitable drivers for high grade wireless devices, might I
suggest the following.

1) Install a good quality NIC card -- obviously one supported by
   FreeBSD.

2) Connect that card to a suitable wireless N router. I use the Linksys
   E4200 with excellent results.

You will now be able to use all of your wireless devices, such as
printer or connect to other wireless networked PCs.

I might add, whenever possible, keep FreeBSD and USB devices as far
away from each other as possible. DO NOT attempt to connect a router
via USB to FreeBSD. Connect it via cable. Otherwise, you are just look
for trouble and pain.

--
Jerry ♔