Date:      Mon, 13 Feb 2012 12:47:07 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux compatibility

--------------enig56EB9A049757AA5137CD5B1E

On 13/02/2012 12:22, Dave wrote:
> On 13 Feb 2012 at 21:01, Da Rock wrote:
>=20
>> On 02/13/12 20:08, siefke_listen@web.de wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I'm trying to get Linux running various applications to the.
>>> Brandelf was applied to the binaries. But any Linux application
>>> crashes at startup.
>>>
>>> freebsd-desk# kldstat
>>> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>>>   1   21 0xc0400000 8c6d08   kernel
>>>   2    1 0xc0cc7000 4864     sem.ko
>>>   3    1 0xc41eb000 8000     linprocfs.ko
>>>   4    1 0xc41f3000 28000    linux.ko
>>>   5    1 0xc44ae000 9000     i915.ko
>>>   6    1 0xc44b7000 15000    drm.ko
>>>
>>> freebsd-desk# cat /etc/rc.conf | grep linux
>>> linux_enable=3D"YES"
>>>
>>> $ /usr/local/bin/linux-firefox
>>> /usr/local/lib/linux-firefox/firefox: symbol lookup error:
>>> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE,
>>> version GLIBCXX_3.4
>>>
>>> $ /usr/local/bin/eagle
>>> /usr/local/share/eagle5/bin/eagle: symbol lookup error:
>>> /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: undefined symbol: _ZNSt8messagesIcE2idE,
>>> version GLIBCXX_3.4
>>>
>>> $ googleearth
>>> ./googleearth-bin: symbol lookup error: ./libge_net.so: undefined
>>> symbol: _ZNSbIwSt11char_traitsIwESaIwEE4_Rep20_S_empty_rep_storageE,
>>> version GLIBCXX_3.4
>>>
>>> Does anyone a idea where is the mistake?
>> I was going to wait and see if anyone else responded, but you are best=

>> off trying emulation@.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>=20
> Don't you have to install/load a module for Linux binary compatability =
to=20
> work in F'BSD?  I seem to remember that being mentioned during a recent=
=20
> 8.something install.

Yes, you do.  The module is called linux.ko and as you can see in the
OP's kldstat listing, it is loaded.  Usually that happens automatically,
so it's quite rare to actually have to type 'kldload linux.ko'

The undefined symbol errors suggest that the OP is missing some
important linux shlibs which should be installed in
/compat/linux/usr/lib -- what linuxbase port have you installed, and
what distro did you obtain those linux executables from?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3