Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2015 21:39:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Jilles Tjoelker <jilles@stack.nl>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org,  John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: readdir/telldir/seekdir problem (i think)

Jilles Tjoelker wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 24, 2015 at 04:28:12PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
> > Yes, this isn't at all safe.  There's no guarantee whatsoever that
> > the offset on the directory fd that isn't something returned by
> > getdirentries has any meaning.  In particular, the size of the
> > directory entry in a random filesystem might be a different size
> > than the structure returned by getdirentries (since it converts
> > things into a FS-independent format).
>
> > This might work for UFS by accident, but this is probably why ZFS
> > doesn't work.
>
> > However, this might be properly fixed by the thing that ino64 is
> > doing where each directory entry returned by getdirentries gives
> > you a seek offset that you _can_ directly seek to (as opposed to
> > seeking to the start of the block and then walking forward N
> > entries until you get an inter-block entry that is the same).
>
> The ino64 branch only reserves space for d_off and does not use it in
> any way. This is appropriate since actually using d_off is a major
> feature addition.

Well, at some point ino64 will need to define a new getdirentries(2)
syscall and I believe this new syscall can have different/additional
arguments.

I'd suggest that the new gtedirentries(2) syscall should return a
flag to indicate that the underlying file system is filling in d_off.
Then the libc functions can use d_off if it it available.
(They will still need to "work" at least as well as they do now if
 the file system doesn't support d_off. The old getdirentries(2) syscall
 will be returning the old/current "struct dirent" which doesn't have
 the field anyhow.)

Another bit of fun is that the argument for seekdir()/telldir() is a
long and ends up 32bits for some arches. d_off is 64bits, since that
is what some file systems require.
Maybe the library code can only use d_off if it is a 64bit arch and
the file system is filling it in. (Or maybe the library can keep track
of 32<->64bit mappings for the offsets. I haven't looked at the libc
functions for a while, so I can't remember what they keep track of.)

rick