Date:      Tue, 21 May 1996 12:13:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        100075.1013@CompuServe.COM (SAMES M.I.S.)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

SAMES M.I.S. writes:

> I found your name/address in the FreeBSD file. I've got a query regarding
> FreeBSD. Let me state the problem.

Sure, go right ahead :-)

> We want to set up a UNIX machine, which will link to the Internet via a leased
> line. This will become our internet mail/web server. All our users will connect
> to the UNIX machine to do their internet mail/ftp jobs. They use PC's which is
> linked via an Ethernet network to the UNIX machine. I have FreeBSD in mind,
> because of the cost :-)
>
> We also want to create Web pages (i.e. a web-server) on this UNIX machine.
>
> Now for the questions. Is there a mail package available with
> FreeBSD?

Yes, several.  sendmail is probably the MTA you want to use, and you
have a choice of a number of mail readers.  I'd guess that elm and
pine are the most popular.

> What
> software does the PC's need to connect? (We're looking at installing Win4WG
> and/or Win95)

You need TCP/IP networking support.  It's included in Windows 95%.

> Is there web server software available for FreeBSD?

Yes.

> Will this type of setup work?

Lots of people are doing it :-)

One word of warning: the current FreeBSD documentation does not
describe all aspects of setting up networks, in particular neither
sendmail nor web servers.  We're working on it, but it'll be a while.
Before you start you should get hold of a book like "UNIX System
Administration Handbook" by Evi Nemeth and Co.  They describe BSD/OS,
which is a commercial offering very similar to FreeBSD.

> Or do I need to look at another UNIX OS?

Not really.  Other systems are more expensive, and they don't offer
any better tools.

> Sorry to bother you with questions like this!

That's what we're here for.

Greg