Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 2015 08:45:07 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        Ben Woods <woodsb02@gmail.com>
Cc:        User Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: IPFilter & FreeBSD-10.1

Hi Ben,

Thanks for this. I actually read this bit of it having been updated to
version 5.1.2 in FreeBSD 10.0.

However, my problem emanated from the fact that rules that I use on
FreeBSD-8.4/9.3 simply could not work on 10.1

I simply carried the rules over, and did not compile a custom kernel on
10.1. I was believing that the module will be automatically loaded and
rules would work. They didn't! Only 'ipf -D' would let connections to be
made from LAN PCs to my gateway PC..

Someone somewhere suggested that IPFilter was removed from 10.0, but I can
still see /boot/kernel/ipl.ko

wash@mail:~$ uname -a
FreeBSD mailhost 10.1-RELEASE FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE #0 r274401: Tue Nov 11
21:02:49 UTC 2014     root@releng1.nyi.freebsd.org
:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
wash@mail:~$ ls -al /boot/kernel//ipl*
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel   478792 Nov 12 00:06 /boot/kernel//ipl.ko
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3170296 Nov 12 00:06 /boot/kernel//ipl.ko.symbols

So what is the trick to get IPFilter to work on 10.1?

I read a post in which someone had to copy the sources from 9.x to 10.x and
recompile in order to get it to work with the rules from 9.x