Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 09:44:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ckempf@enigami.com (Cory Kempf)
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cam/scsi  include files

Cory Kempf wrote...
> I could swear I have posted this at least twice now, but the original
> doesn't seem to be on my machine for some reason.  And if the answer
> has changed with the new snapshot, well, it is downloading now.
>
> While perusing the SANE source, I noticed that it checks for the
> existance of files under /usr/include/scsi... and if it finds them,
> determines that it should use the BSD SCSI interface.

	There's no /usr/include/scsi directory, even with the old SCSI
code.

> On my machine, it finds them, and builds successfully (haven't tried
> running, as the SCSI bus isn't quite working yet... see other
> message).
>
> Is /usr/include/scsi obsolete with CAM?  Assuming it is, perhaps it
> might be a good idea to include a shell script to move that (and any
> other obsolete files... e.g. libraries?) to say, scsi.old or some
> such?

	It is, and isn't obsolete.  It's actually "/usr/include/scsi.h".
One or two people have asked for a compatibility interface with the old
SCSI code under CAM.  If that happens, we'll need the old code as well as
the new.

	If you're concerned about porting stuff to CAM, I would suggest
testing for the presence of /usr/include/camlib.h.  That's what I did in
the cdrecord, tosha and xmcd ports.

> On a related note, I noticed that DEC's CAM interface stores its
> include files under /usr/include/io/cam... shouldn't we also?
>
> Personally, I find it rather annoying when different vendor's unixes
> stick things in different locations.  It makes writing portable stuffs
> more difficult.

	I don't see any real reason to stick things in the same place DEC's
CAM implementation does.  It isn't defined in the spec (AFAIK), and our data
structures differ from theirs anyways.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry