Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:26:00 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Chen Xu" <xuchen66@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: booting question

--==_Exmh_1168460760_81704P

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:54:09 -0500
> From: "Chen Xu" <xuchen66@gmail.com>
>
> > Don't unload. Assuming that you use loader, let the system proceed to
> > the count-down and press any key except <ENTER>. Then enter the command:
> > boot kernel.old
> >
> > If you want to boot with options, place them at the end. (E.g. "boot
> > kernel.old -s"
>
> that is very nice to know. I ran into the very same problem recently.
> what I used to do was: at counting down, press SPACE bar, unload,
> load /boot/kernel.old/kernel, boot. At least this order worked in the past.
> Something must have changed at some point.

This may or may not work depending on modules loaded (note that unload
will unload all modules already loaded by the loader, not just the
kernel) and whether any modules are loaded later in the boot
process. While I have not check in quite a while, at one time this would
result in modules still being loaded from /boot/kernel and these might
not be compatible with the old kernel.

It is quite possible that these issues have now been resolved and that
both methods will produce identical results.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1168460760_81704P